Friday, January 28, 2011

Handmade Costs vs. Bargain Prices

Ok, I'm sure I'm not the first person to blog on this subject, but I have to get my frustrations out somehow and unfortunately my blog readers get to hear them if they decide to read this blog.

My intention here is not to offend all the bargain hunters out there, but for you to take pause and consider the importance of those of us trying to sell our unique goods and make it our livelihood doing so.

I love a bargain just as much as the next person, but I also really appreciate good quality handmade goods. By good quality I mean that the materials used are not cheap or poorly made. That however increases the price of the item along with the time it takes to make it. If it's handmade and not massed produce it will cost more even though your labor per hour is minimal. Personally I love what I do so much that I don't think about what I make per hour. If that was my concern I wouldn't be doing it. It's not about the money. It's about wanting to share what you create with those that appreciate unique quality goods.

We get upset that so many jobs are lost to other countries, but we don't want to pay what it cost to make things here in the USA. It's a huge problem, I know. I don't have all the answers, but I hope you will appreciate all the small businesses trying to make a living with quality handmade goods.

Ahhhh......now that I got that off my chest I can get back to work! Have a great day and buy Handmade in the USA!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment